There are a lot of different ways to train dogs. The best way to learn and improve your dog’s behavior is to work with various humane methods. We had a chat with the people behind Best Dog Training In Sacramento. We have assorted a few tips to get you started:
Before we discuss some of the standard DIY methods, assuming you have the time, let’s first recommend the obvious….Hire a professional.
If you feel the necessity and have the patience to try to do this all by yourself, please consider the following recommendations.
Focus on Basic Training.
There’s a lot of things you need to know before getting started. I’ll list some of them here –
- You should have your dog on a leash until it is offering you the behaviors you want to see. If you are not training it, it is training itself. So manage its environment until you see it listening.
- It’s important to get your dog used to being around new places, things, people and dogs. Your dog doesn’t need to engage with them, just see them and smelling them from a safe distance.
- Start training him on cued and uncued behaviors. We need to teach our dog to follow directions after we ask but we also need to teach it to offer those behaviors before we ask.
- It’s important to have regular check-ups with your veterinarian and groomer. I would suggest visiting the vet/groomer to just say “Hello” and get a cookie every 3 – 6 months. We don’t want it to become a place that always requires a confusing exam or groom.
- it is important to have good communication with your dog. Think about naming the important items in its life. Ie: leash, collar, car, body parts, toys, friends
- Don’t ask for a cue’d behavior that you cant reinforce. If you ask for a “sit” make sure you can help your dog get into position within a couple of seconds.
Lean On Positive Reinforcement Right? Or no?
Positive reinforcement is one quadrant of dog training. It’s a flashy buzzword or marketing term. Positive reinforcement means adding something (treat, toy, touch) to get an animal to continue doing a behavior. This is what we are doing as we train but I don’t want you stuck on buzzwords. If your professional trainer is one-sided, in the 4 quadrants, I would question them about their beliefs before you hire them.
Let’s think more about conflict-free training or training based on an applied ethology style such as L.E.G.S.
- L- Learning
- What experience has the dog had prior to you and with you? What type of training have they had prior to you? How does this dog learn new things?
- E – Environment
- What is the dog’s past physical environment like? What’s its current environment? What’s the best environment for this dog?
- G- Genetics
- What is your dog’s primary genetic grouping? Are any of the issues natural behaviors for what the dog was bred for? Did the dogs parents have any predispositions to behavior issues?
- S- Self
- How old is your dog? Does it have any health issues? Is your dog spayed or neuterd? Is your dog taking supplements or medication? Is it working?
We really need to look at the L.E.G.S of the dog, combined with the 4 quadrants of dog training ( Positive Reinforcement, Negative Reinfrocement, Positive Punishment and Negative Punishment) and make sure to not use any corrections for behavior unless you have spoken with a trainer on how to apply the lest amount of corrections needed.
Don’t Shy Away From Seeking Help.
If you have been training your dog, you know how hard this can be. But rather than fighting with your Dog, you should seek professional help. You can have Best Dog Training In Sacramento from best trainer.
There are a few things you can do to help –
- Make sure your dog is familiar with the basics of dog training.
- Set up an environment for your dog to work in.
- Make sure he is comfortable with the trainer.
- Keep track of your dog’s progress so that you can see what needs to be done next.
Here are some benefits of seeking the help of professional dog trainers –
- They will turn your naughty pup into a well-trained dog.
- Your dog will be better as a pet overall.
- Dog trainers can lend you their knowledge and skills. Those include proper communication and training techniques for dogs.
- They will train you and your dog!
- Dog trainers will help improve obedience skills and free behavior.
- They can teach you how to provide companionship to Dogs.
- Dog trainers can help you manage/repair any udesired behaviors such as resource guarding or agression..
Advanced Techniques Like Behavior Modification or Perception Modification Can Help.
Behavior modification is used to change the behavior of a pet dog. So if a dog is barking at something or being reactive, behavior modification will help limit the barking. Perception Modification is changing how to dog feels vs. just his behavior.
There are many different techniques that can be use in each method. It is important to find the one that will work best for your pet and yourself.
There are times when behvior specialist may be necessary. Here are three specific cases –
- When your dog is fearful of everyday items. People, dogs noise or car rides.
- If you see reactivity or aggression in your dog towards humans or other dogs.
- When your dog is unable to go to the groomer or the veterinarian for exams or grooming.
Behavior modification can be done through a variety of methods and each trainer has a philosophy that you should learn about before hiring. We need to determine if its best to suppress the behavior or work on fixing your dogs feelings and creating the best situation for them to be successful.
These training tips are just building a guideline. Dog training is a necessary for good communication but very complicated. With enough practiceand education, you should be able to train your dog. If you are unsure at all, please contact a local trainer and begin the interview process.